Search This Blog

Friday, January 4, 2013

Back to preschool activities

I had a chance while on the plane to sit and think about activities to do with the children.  I wrote a list of plans for the next few weeks to fill our mornings and afternoons.  Of course, I included our pre-planned gymnastics, library, and swim lessons.  I added in a trip to the museum and one to the Grove.  I scheduled to stay at for science, art, and game days.  This is mostly to keep myself accountable as Jon starts track - to put down the computer.  But also to keep bickering among the kids to a minimum as the cold weather continues.  I'll continue to encourage free play, but when the kids can't seem to play together anymore or are clamoring for video games, I'll start with that day's plans.  I'm looking forward to having some things down on paper.

One thing Carolyn had expressed interest in is counting to 100.  James is starting to be able to count to 10 as well.  We finally got him over "1, 2, 3, 8" and now he does 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10!  Just have to sneak that 7 in there and he'll be good.  But I figured number recognition would be good for both of them.  So today I found some coloring pages and arranged them so I could print 1 page with 2 numbers so they could have matching projects.  I explained to Carolyn the need to color neatly, which she did well with at first.  We are going to do one page a day until we reach the 100th day of the year.  It being the 4th though, they completed 4 pages and when she got to 4 she got a little sloppy.  It's okay though, part of being a 4 year old.  I then took Carolyn's 1-4 and taped them to the top of the wall in the playroom.  Since that will be one of the last rooms redecorated, I figured this would make a good decoration.  We'll go all the way around the top of the room with a new number each day.  James' sheets were bundled into a clip for the kids to look through.

Very much so looking forward to getting back into a routine on Monday!  I'm excited to see what the kids can learn in this second half of the school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment