Search This Blog

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Weather Delays, Illness

We had a wonderful time yesterday celebrating Halloween.  James and I spent most of the day doing laundry.  Or rather, he played with Jon's dad while I worked and did laundry.  Around 2 we headed to Carolyn's school for her parade and party.  The wind was very strong and it was snowing and off all day.  I could feel a tightness in my chest from the time we left until we entered the hotel around 7pm.  Mentally I knew everything would be okay.  But watching the trees bend and the traffic lights sway had my hands shaking for most of the day.  Carolyn had fun at her party, and then we packed up her things and headed to the store.  We grabbed some veggies and dip for our neighborhood gathering and the kids rode on the mechanical horse at Meijer.  Then we headed home, where the kids spent a couple minutes in their rooms and we turned on the furnace to keep the house at 50.  Some brief research online shows that will keep us from needing to worry about anything freezing.  Then we headed across the street for some playtime, dinner, then trick or treating.  I was amazed when we returned from trick or treating (by the kids' requests) and it was only 6:20.  We had a little more play time then returned to the hotel for bedtime snacks and bed.  Both kids were out by 8.

We had planned to go to a chess tournament for Carolyn this morning but she woke up with a bad headache.  We went down to breakfast and she was still saying she wanted to go.  But we were able to convince her that she'll have another chance in a couple months.  Turns out that was good as she has spent the day in bed, with several trips to the bathroom and her fever is up to 101.7.  We had done well to avoid any illness while living in a hotel for 8 weeks.  Hopefully this will be short-lived, she'll be better tomorrow, and no one else will catch the germs.  It's hard though to get her the rest she needs and not feel like we're all trapped.

I received an email from our contractor today as well.  The materials have been manufactured and will be delivered Tuesday.  Due to rain forecasts, the crew is scheduled for Thursday to complete the carpentry work.  This of course pushes everything at least another 2 days back.  So it looks like we'll be here another 2 weeks.

Off to take care of Carolyn.  God, please comfort her and move this through her body quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment