Search This Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Getting Started

I haven't been at an appropriate weight since I can remember.  In college I played soccer, so I exercised 5-6 days/week nearly year round.  I ran, I lifted, I swam, and I walked all over campus.  Yet I still weighed significantly more than I should.  I got married and gained weight from cooking more often and going out to eat.  Then we bought a house and started having kids.  I have been pregnant and/or nursing since August 2007.  Yep, I've been sharing my body for about 4.5 years.  And I have about 4.5 months before my youngest will be completely weaned.
When my oldest was about 6 months old, I developed terrible dizziness.  I saw countless doctors, had countless tests done, but no root cause was found.  It was discovered that I have a nystagmus that comes and goes, but not such that would cause what I was experiencing.  After about 6 months it spontansously went away.  So we decided it was okay to have a second child.  This past summer (Aug '11) the dizziness returned with authority.  I couldn't think straight and it lasted much longer than previously.  Saw some new doctors who couldn't find any causes.  I gave up and decided to live with it.
On top of the dizziness and weight problems, there are a myriad of other random ailments that are a part of my life.  I came across the book "Wheat Belly" through a couponing website and am intrigued by what it purports.  As I read the book, I recognized quite a few of the things the author's patients were cured from by removing wheat from their diet: acid reflux, joint pain, exhaustion, headaches, and stomach problems.  The book also suggests that sleep will get better, which would be a God-send for my children.  If I could even cut down some of these from simply removing wheat from my diet, it will be a success.
I want to be successful at this, so I'm going to spend the next week doing research and finding recipes to fill 3 meals a day for 2-3 weeks, plus the occasional dessert.  I anticipate removing wheat from my diet to be somewhat simple.  The trickier part will likely be removing wheat from the kids' diets. 
So here I will share with you the recipes I use, how I'm feeling, and the weight that I lose.  I will weigh in on Saturday to get a starting weight.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment