Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

Over 24 hours complete

And so completes my first full day with no wheat, and even for the kids too!  Jon of course had cereal for breakfast and pizza for lunch.  In fairness, we said we're starting next week.  Both kids gobbled up their dinner again too, which is awesome to see 2 nights in a row.  Carolyn seemed less cranky this afternoon and played quietly while James finished his nap.  He slept nearly 3 hours, and half of that time was in his crib!  Here's to hoping he sleeps through the night in his crib. 
Jon and I are getting back to our crossfit workouts as well, now that his contract is settled.  Tonight's workout was killer and I could barely get up the stairs afterwards.  But it's definitely a great feeling and I'm looking forward to following the 3 day on / 1 day off schedule and creating a 30 day rotation of workouts to follow.

Tonight's Dinner:  Chicken and Veggie Soup
Leftover chicken bones from Sun night - filled crockpot with water and let cook overnight

1lb carrots
Celery - 3 stalks
Chicken - pulled meat off bones and there was a lot
1/2 Large onion - chopped
Italian seasoning
Garlic salt
Dried oregano

Dump crockpot into collander with a bowl underneath to separate broth from bones.  Pour broth back into crockpot.  Chop carrots, celery, and onion into bite size pieces.  I make them fairly small so the kids have no trouble eating them.  Pull chicken off bones and shred into bite size pieces.  Sprinkle with seasoning, garlic salt, and oregano as desired.  Mix briefly, let cook all day.  I would guess a minimum 6hrs on low like most crockpot meals.  I turned this on around 8 and we turned it off at 5:15 to let it cool.

Both kids loved it, Carolyn even ate the broth.  James at his bowl plus some from mine and Jon's bowls!  We then each had a couple hershey's kisses for dessert at Carolyn's request.  Haven't gotten any appropriate desserts into the house yet, but that's something I should look into.  We still have so much Christmas candy left!

Tomorrow's challenge will be the car ride home from gymnastics.  I normally allow each kid their Cheerio cup since they expend so much energy in class.  It also keeps James in one place to put on his shoes and coat after class.  I haven't decided if we'll forgo the cups or if I'll look for an alternative.  I think for tomorrow I'll let them have them.  But I might hide them in the bag and see if they ask for them.  I'm pretty sure it's a habit thing and not a hunger issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment